Monday, February 7, 2011

The Samsung Galaxy Captivate...in HD

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
This past Christmas I was given the opportunity to try out a new device. Being a BlackBerry user for the past five or so years, I was hesitant to move away from the familiar. But I had to give this sought-after device a try and see what all the fuss was about. Here are my thoughts...






High Points:


  • The Super AMOLED screen and 5MP camera make pictures and even the device's screens itself look crisp and clear. Taking some shots of the family Christmas tree put my own digital camera to shame!
  • The still and video cameras each have multiple settings depending on what you are shooting - the last Canucks game I went to was a great chance to try this out. By selecting the "action shot" feature in the camera, it was as if all the players had posed for their pictures - no blurring from movement!
  • There are literally thousands of applications for almost anything - and they can be accessed right from the device. The one thing that really got me, was the device's ability to download these apps in the background and simply notify me when they were done. There was no rebooting required!
  • Due to access to all the applications, including those to customize the device with live wallpapers, my Captivate looks nothing like anyone else's. Of course the physical device is the same, but once you take a look through it, nothing else looks familiar.
  • The touch screen capabilities are sensitive enough to recognize your touch when typing, but when on the phone, it automatically senses when it is close to my face, and ensures that I don't accidentally press something in the middle of a call. Great to avoid putting someone on hold with my face....
  • It was so easy to add my emails to the phone once I was ready to use it. I have a corporate email that just required a few inputs to get everything active, including all my contacts, and Gmail was even easier, only requiring a few steps to load up. Both emails look just as they do at my desktop which means I can access my messages quickly when I need to - the Gmail account even shows the labels I have added in my online Inbox, and allows me to apply them to new messages right from the phone
  • The device has such a massive on board memory (16GB to be precise) that I was able to load nearly 1000 songs without needing a memory card. And it didn't seem to phase the phone either - everything ran just as smoothly as normal. But even so, adding a memory card into the phone is equally smooth - no configuring required, and the phone will even do its own security scan of the files just to make sure everything is okay
  • Text messaging brings on a whole new way to type - SWYPE technology allows you to slide your finger across the keyboard instead of tapping individual keys to spell a word. This might sound like a strange feature, but when using a touchscreen, you can type as fast as if you had buttons at your fingertips. This is definitely one more thing to get used to, but everyone I know who has tried it, has never gone back to the standard style
  • For such a powerful device, it sure is slim and sleek. Far less bulky than many other Smartphones out there, it amazes me that this phone is capable of so much
  • And on the note of sleek and slim, you might think that as a result, battery size and life is compromised. As with any Smartphone, data is constantly flowing back and forth which consumes battery, but in order to make up for this, the Galaxy Captivate has battery saving features that kick in once your battery starts to wane - features that you don't have to physically ensure are working. The phone just does it!
Downsides:
  • It is a full touch screen device....and there are times when I just want to push a button - new users to the Captivate will need to give themselves at least a couple of weeks to get used to the phone (the same goes for the SWYPE technology - give yourself at least a few messages to become familiar with how it works)
  • There is no flash on the camera - for a device with such a great screen and camera capability, it is a shame that taking pictures at night, or even in a poorly lit room, is pretty much a no-no. Perhaps future versions of the device will incorporate this feature - I hope so!
  • I mentioned I have been a BlackBerry user for a number of years - I miss my BBM! There are many applications designed to go across various operating systems, such as Kick or WhatsApp, but nothing really compares to the first instant messenger that many of us know and love. In fact, if you are a BB user trying to chat with people through WhatsApp, the application just doesn't work as well as it does on the Android or iPhone operating systems
  • Although setting up email was quick and easy, I would recommend not merging your email accounts. The device tends to find any and all email addresses and list them in the address book....rather frustrating when an email has only been used once. In addition, the device has some sort of ability to merge contacts together, which can result in duplicates - and for those that did duplicate, one would have a picture, the other wouldn't, or each would be entirely different! 
Overall, this device is definitely a lot of fun to play with. It is great as a functional, work-based device, but is also perfect for all the fun you want. There is pretty much an app for anything, you can truly make the phone yours, and with the new Android 2.2 software, battery life is far better than it used to be, and there are some small tweaks that just make the phone run a lot more efficiently.

I find that I learn something new everyday with this phone, so I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment